The 25 Anniversary of the Space Shuttle Challenger Explosion



I had all my work done, so I asked my English teacher Mrs. Peterson to let me go to the library. She gave me a hall pass, and I was out of class. I probably wasn't looking for a book. I didn't enjoy reading that much as a high-school freshman. I just wanted to break up the boredom of English class.

When I got to the library, a small group of people were eagerly awaiting the launch of the Space Shuttle. By 1886, we had grown used to the Space Shuttle leaving earth and safely arising home a few days later, and so launches weren't aired on TV for classes to view much anymore. This launch was different. This launch carried the first teacher into space, Christine McAuliffe.

I joined the small group, because like I said, I really didn't go to the library to discover Hemmingway or even Beverly Clearly. I went to pass the time. I sat watching as the countdown was delivered. 10, 9, 8...

It launched. I followed it in its first minute until it suddenly disappeared to the confusion of NASA engineers. It exploded right in front of me live on national TV. I quickly ran out of the library and back to Mrs. Peterson's English class. I interrupted the class.

"The space shuttle blew up! The space shuttle blew up!"

A look of disgrace came across Mrs. Peterson face as if I was playing a cruel joke. She began disciplining me with words. I begged her to go to the library with me to watch the story unfold. She did, and with shock she discovered that what I said wasn't a hoax to get the attention of my classmates. She experienced the shock of our Republic who was also in disbelief.

Today is the 25th anniversary of that day. Like the Kennedy assassination, this is one of those instances where you always remember where you were at. For me, I nearly ended up in the principal's office, as if I could even joke about such a thing. Hard to believe a quarter century has gone by.

Here is the great Ronald Reagan who in his brilliant words comforted our nation.