Missouri Road Closings Update for February 2, 2011

Good news for I-44 drivers. The West bound lane may be open after yesterday's winter storm as early as this morning. There was some talk that it may take as long as this weekend to reopen the major interstate connected St. Louis to Tulsa. The Interstate was closed for safety reasons from Springfield to the Oklahoma boarder.

Interstate 70, which connects St. Louis to Kansas City remains closed. Here is a map showing road conditions in the state of Missouri for early morning February 2, 2011.


Here is additional information from KSPR:

I-44 CLOSED at Route 360 (Mile Marker 69):
* MoDOT and the Missouri Highway Patrol have closed westbound I-44 west of Springfield to help reduce the number of stranded vehicles and drivers caught on westbound I-44. Traffic on westbound I-44 is backing up from Joplin because the snowstorm has caused the Oklahoma Turnpike to be closed.
* Drivers will have to use alternate routes to get to their destination west of Springfield or find lodging in the Springfield area.
* There is no word as to when westbound I-44 will reopen, but it could take until the weekend.
* MoDOT is communicating this closing on its electronic message signs along westbound I-44, through various motor carrier companies and groups and through the news media.
This closing, though unfortunate, is necessary for safety reasons.